The type of armor you wear and how much loot you are hauling around the dungeon affect your ability to perform a number of tasks. Armor Check Penalty (ACP) is the way that the Porphyra Roleplaying Game simulates this reduction of performance.
- ACP from armor and shields stack.
- ACP for encumbrance overlaps.
If you ACP from your armor and shields is -4 but your ACP from encumbrance from a heavy load is -6 then your overall ACP is -6.
Armor Check Penalty applies to any of the following actions:
- Melee and ranged attack rolls*
- Dodge bonuses to AC (cannot be reduced below zero)
- Reflex saves.
- Skill Checks (Acrobatics, Athletics, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Ride*, Sap*, Sleight of Hand, Stealth)
- Caster checks for spellcasters
* Does not apply if the user has proficiency in the armor.